Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Tooth Mishap

Yesterday, while waiting on Emma to get out of dance, Trent was climbing in the car to get his dog Champ and he slipped and fell. His teeth and mouth hit first on the hump of my tire on my car ( I guess that is called the tire well). I heard his mouth hit and immediately saw blood and he was screaming and frantic! I run back inside to grab some wet paper towels to catch some of the blood and to actually see how bad he really damaged his teeth. All I could see was some of his front tooth gone. I IMMEDIATELY called my boss (since I work for a dentist) and mama to meet me at dance to get Emma. Called Geoff to meet me in Elgin, since we had to head back to my office for Dr. Hutch to look at his mouth. Got the bleeding under control, but Trent was holding his Champ against his mouth so I couldn't look! Got to the office and got an x-ray taken (which is VERY hard on a 2 year old) and Dr. Hutch looked and said that his tooth didn't break, that it got jammed back up into his gums and bone and the other front tooth got knocked back towards the roof of his mouth and rotated a little sideways! Half of the tooth is up in the bone, so that is why I only saw part of the tooth! It looks like the whole tooth is missing! Dr. Hutch called his neighbor which is the pedo. dentist Dr. Robert Ellis to ask his opinion. Dr. Ellis wanted to see Trent today at 2:00 p.m. and said to give him tylenol last night. Got through the night, Trent tossed and turned ALL night and NEVER really got comfortable. Also, would not eat or drink anything, which is not like Trent b/c he ALWAYS has his sippy cup at his side! This morning was a little better and he ate 3 popsicles and has started drinking a little. He hung out with Geoff all day and met me at Dr. Ellis' office at 2:00. He looked and said that he must have hit pretty darn hard for the tooth to be that impacted. And, usually in situations like this, the tooth will generally try and "drop back down" again about 90% of the way. If not, will have to talk about how to get the tooth down again and he may lose it! If it gets back into position, it may turn dark in color (that is what teeth do once they have been traumatized). He seems to think the other front tooth will be just fine and he is optimistic that the impacted tooth will start dropping back into place in the next 24-36 hours. For now, he just has a VERY swollen upper lip and gums, but thank goodness his lip didn't get cut bad enough for stitches. He wants to recheck Trent next Wed. But, for now our brave little Trent is back to acting normal again and is trying to eat a little and drink. Bless his little heart, he looks so pitiful! Here are some pictures of last night and the other ones from today! Now, I guess I know how Ginger felt when Andrew fell down their stairs and knocked one of his teeth out! Poor fellas!








3 comments:

Cate, Hank, Brady & Owen said...

Poor baby! It looks so painful!! Hope he is feeling better tonight and has eaten a little something....

Jenn Ward said...

poor thing, give me the # to d.s.s.! Glad he is better.

Anonymous said...

good gracious Leslie! That is bad. poor little fella! It does look painful. I hope Trent feels better soon!