Friday, February 22, 2008

New Allergies / Birthday Sleepover



Finally, I have enough rest & time to post last weekends events!!

Friday, Feb. 15...
Trent had an allergist appt. due to him licking the batter bowl for cake the weekend of Emma's birthday and breaking out. He also ate a Special K bar with chocolate on top, I thought he had a strawberry one (he has ate those before). It was CRAZY that night b/c Cate and Brady were over so we could make Brady and Emma's b-day cakes and the kids were all over the place. You know how it is, so needless to say, I really wasn't watching Trent like I should have been. Long story short, his entire face broke out and was red all over and he had a croupy cough and difficulty breathing and wasn't responding to me when I would talk to him. I instantly got Benadryl in him (the Dr. said that I should have used the Epi-pen & headed for the E.R.) and within 5 minutes he was starting to get okay. I talked to Tonya's aunt who is a nurse and she said to just keep giving him the benadryl every 4 hours over night just to make sure! So, I was like, the chocolate bar MUST have made him react that bad, not the cake batter, b/c I make my cakes and icing cow's milk free. BUT, the next night I made another cake and he licked the batter and AGAIN he broke out, but not nearly as bad as the night before. Benadryl again and puzzled b/c if there was no milk in the cake batter, what is making him react. EGGS??? So, I started thinking, has he gained another allergy. So, we took him to the allergist Friday morning and he tested him again for 8 different food and environmental allergies. The verdict... Obviously still highly allergic to MILK, but now also to EGGS and DOGS!!!! I was right, it was the eggs. And, the first night he reacted so terribly bad was the egg and milk mixture. Those 2 together are a deadly mixture for Trent!! And, dogs, why couldn't it be cats. We really don't care for cats that much, but LOVES dogs. Trent nasal passages were also somewhat swollen and he has this chronic cough and congestion that WILL NOT go away. So, he wanted Trent to start taking Zyrtec daily. Now that we know he has more allergies, I can plan easier and make sure Trent is safe from those harmful allergens!! So, you BETTER believe now that I have multiple Epi-pens handy!!

Friday night, we had 7 girls to sleepover for Emma's 5th birthday party. We ordered pizza and drank punch, and ate cake and ice cream! The girls had a BLAST!! They played and played and played!! Didn't think they would EVER want to go to sleep. Finally, we turned in about 11:30 and they were up and ready to play and go some more at 6:30 the next morning! YIKES!! So, we ate breakfast and since it was such a beautiful day outside, we all went out (most of them in their Jammie's, HA)! By 12:00, everyone was picked up and then Emma, Trent and I ALL layed down for a 3 hour nap. Geoff had left at 10:00 that a.m. with Tim to go to a race! The rest of the weekend was pretty laid back!

Sunday, my dad installed our new flat screen T.V. above our fireplace, AWESOME!!

Oh, Happy Valentines Day to everyone!! Geoff got me this WONDERFUL basket of goodies... it had lingerie, wine and glasses, chocolates, stuffed puppy that said I love you. We had Chinese here at home, he didn't get home until 7:30 from work that night, so we had a mini date here! The kids got TONS of valentines cards and candy and balloons. Mama baked them each a cake and gave them 2 balloons and a bag of goodies. Sorry, no pics, I video taped though!

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Poor Trent! Cade had a milk allergy as a baby, but outgrew it. Happy Birthday Emma!

Christy Peake said...

Gosh, you have a lot to keep track of! Poor Trent. Yup, keep those EpiPens close.

Stacy said...

Mackenzie is thankfully not allergic to foods but she is allergic to pretty much everything outdoors. We have been taking Zyrtec for about 2 years now and it is great. Good Luck with it.