Monday, January 21, 2008

Sewing Project - My First Dress




Before the hemming! She is SOOOO excited!



Throughout the last couple of months, I have just been inspired from Cindy and Christy with all of their sewing creations!! So, I thought I would give it a whirl too! Mama & Daddy gave me a sewing machine about 3 years ago for Christmas, so I decided to dust it off and put it to use! Yesterday, we went to Walmart and Emma picked out the pattern of the dress she wanted (luckily it was an easy one) and also the fabric! She wanted a pink and green polka dot dress! We also found the matching ribbon so I can make her a matching bow!! I didn't even have my machine threaded!! But, I put my mind to it and got it threaded along with the bobbin and got to sewing! I first cut the material wrong, didn't really read the pattern like I should. I just like to get going and I'll figure it out as I go along. Never been one to read instructions!! LOL! So, I did it right the second time! So, I started sewing the pieces together, and sewed under the arms too much, we put it on Emma and couldn't get the dress past her shoulders. I figured out that I should have stopped right under the arms, just hem that part. So, after figuring that out, I finally knew how to finish it! I hemed the bottom and top and around the arms and then attached the ties that I made out of scrap fabric! ALOT of imprefections, but Emma LOVES it and I think it turned out OKAY for my first one! Now, she would like a matching purse. So, tonight I am going to try and sew that free handed without a pattern. I hope it turns out okay!

3 comments:

amjackson said...

IMPRESSIVE!! I think it turned out wonderfully!

Anonymous said...

very, very impressive Leslie!
you don't need a teacher girl, you got it going on!!!
I bet that Emma loves her new dress you made for her!!

Christy Peake said...

You did a fabulous job! I'm so proud of you! Look how proud Emma is! You will melt when someone asks her where she got that pretty dress and she can say, "My mommy made it." Emma is gorgeous as always!