Saturday, April 14, 2007

Friday the 13th {Sinus Surgery}

No pictures to post...Geoff wouldn't let me. Anyways, yesterday Geoff had sinus surgery done. Great day to do that , Friday the 13th. We were to arrive at the Lexington Medical Center at 8:00 am. Time of surgery was supposed to be 10:40. Well, 10:00 rolled around and they still haven't taken him back to prep him. Started to get anxious, hungry {he had not ate since the night before at like 9:00} and even more nervous b/c all we could do was WAIT! Finally, about 10:30 they took us back to a room to "prep" him for surgery. He got his "cap and gown" {LOL} on and sat again for another hour. Well, at least this room had TV. We watched The Price is Right. Nurses and anesthesiologist came in and out. Got his IV and all the pre-surgery stuff done. Still, more wait time. They were obviously behind, imagine that right!! Finally, at 1:00 they rolled him to surgery. We thought we would be done by that time! The ENT said it would only take about 2-2 1/2 hours tops. So, I decided to head to the cafe downstairs for some lunch {I didn't eat either since night before}. I ate and sort of strolled around. They had given me a pager/beeper just like you get while waiting on a table at a restaurant. I thought that was a good idea so you didn't have to feel like you were just stuck in the waiting room the entire time! About 2:30 I headed back to the surgery waiting area. 3:30 rolled around, I'm getting nervous b/c it had already been 2 1/2 hours with no update. They also had a computer screen that allowed you to seen updates...like, where they were, whether it be in the OR, recovery, etc. Geoffs still said OR. I started to get concerned and about that time the lady at the desk said the OR sent a message stating that he was okay, but things were going slow. I start to wonder what that means and the lady had no other info. I also panic b/c the kids were at Lollipop and I am concerned about picking them up! I call Mama and get upset on the phone, b/c now it was like 4:10 and he was still in the OR with no further updates. She and dad said they would pick up the kids and get them supper {that was a HUGE help}! THANKS TO THEM FOR THAT!! At this point, I couldn't sit still. I was up and down, to the bathroom and back about 40 times. They also had computers for public use, so I would check my email {that was about all it would let you do}! Finally, 4:45 {after being in surgery for 3 hours and 45 minutes} the Dr. comes out to say they were finished. He had cleaned all the sinuses, from the cheek to the forehead and the ones beside the eyes. All of them were FULL of pollops {sp?}. Geoff had been battling with not being able to taste or smell for over a year now. It would come and go, so surgery was the next step. He had this done about 6 years ago with a little luck. But Dr. Brill did that surgery and only the cheek sinuses were opened up. Dr King decided to do all the sinus and use a balloon to open them, instead of the tradition way of doing it. Dr. King sounded like he had a VERY difficult time with a couple of them and the ones in the forehead he couldn't get the balloon up there enough to fully open those. He said that Geoff's sinuses up there were not divided symmetrically, so the left sinus drained from the right and the right from the left. He also has no cartilage in the nose area next to the sinuses beside the eyes. That may be the result of the previous surgery or from Geoff getting his nose broken as a child. Overall, I think Dr. King was pleased with the result, but thinking it could have been better. He said Geoff needed to be in recovery for about 1 hour. So, I timed it...5:30 I should be able to go back there with him. 6:00 rolled around and still couldn't go back there. By this time, I am going CRAZY. Just ready to go home or just even leave the waiting room for some different scenery! FINALLY, at about 6:30, I get called to go back! He was looking pretty rough, but all vital signs and breathing were good. Now able to go home. We arrived home about 7:35. My parents were here with the kids and my dad had fixed our washer so he was putting that back in. Geoff wanted potato soup, I was busy trying to get that done, see the kids {haven't seen them all day}, get Geoff settled, had to get his Rx's. I left Mama to stir the soup and watch Trent, while Daddy is working with the washer. Geoff went upstairs to lay down. I took Emma with me to Kmart for the Rx's. I am so hungry by this point and dog tired. I too have a cold {I think it has turned into a sinus infection}, so I am not feeling good myself. I drop his Rx's off and realize they were out of nasal saline spray. So, we had to go to Walmart for that and come back to Kmart for the Rx's. I run to Mickey D's drive through for some fattening grub and finally return home about 8:30. Everyone is tired!! Got Geoff his soup, drink, pills and got him settled. Got Trent to bed and Emma settled, then I ate. Got Emma to bed and off to bed I went. I didn't think that day would EVER end! Thanks to everyone that called to check on Geoff. And, for the ones that didn't call {mainly Geoffs parents} well, lets just say that we are not surprised!! He is just going to rest and take it easy for the next couple of days.

4 comments:

Christy Peake said...

Gosh, Ya'll had a rough day!! I remember the computer thingy when Travis when in for some outpatient stuff - they NEVER do anything, finish anything when they say they will! It's very frustrating! Hope Geoff is doing well and that the surgery gets the results he needed. You were a good wife on a very rough, lond day!!!

Leslie Spradley said...

Thanks. I guess that is what we are here for!! :)

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear Geoff is on the mend. Now if everyone else can get well maybe you can get back to normal! Maybe he should tell his parents and then they could check on him! But I know what you mean...

Leslie Spradley said...

They knew about it b/c Tim talked to his dad the morning of the surgery when Tim was on the way to the hospital and I am sure that he told her. But whatever, I am past the point of caring if they talk to us of see us anyways!! They are never interested in us anyways!