Tuesday, May 16, 2006

TRENTS MILK ALLERGY!

We took Trent to the allergist today to have him tested. The nurse had to prick his little arm 3 times and he instantly reacted positively to the test. He is definitely VERY allergic to cows milk. Dr. Markham said that his allergy was pretty serious and he didn't want him to have any cows milk for at least 2 years and maybe longer {he will test him again in about 2 years}. 50% of children grow out of the allergy by the age of 5 or 6 and we just pray that Trent is one of them. Even though he has had no reaction to the Good Start cows milk-based formula, he still wants us to switch him to a soy formula until age 1 and then a soy milk. We go back for a follow-up appt. in 6 months. Until then, we have to read labels religiously and keep him far away from milk or any kind of milk product! That is kind of sad, b/c he has to miss out on all of the good stuff like yogurt, pudding, ice cream, sour cream, etc. {unless they make that stuff from soy}. Anyways, we are prepared if anything happens, our pediatrician gave us a Rx for an EPI-PEN to inject if he is exposed! Just wanted to let everyone know what was going on. Have a good week and I have some pics to blog once I get my film developed and a disc made.

4 comments:

ginger said...

I'm so glad y'all found out what the allergy was! That stinks that the one thing he's allergic too is basically all the good stuff-ice cream especially :) If you want a good soy milk though...try SILK VERY VANILLA SOY MILK. Andrew and Spencer LOVE it! I rarely give them regular milk because the soy milk has more vitamins and stuff in it. And the very vanilla kind is sweet so it tastes good...I even like it :) I guess I just thought I'd put my 2 cents worth in. Anyways...hope you have a great day Leslie!

p.s. I forgot Trent isn't a year old yet...so you still give him formula, but when he gets older then the soy milk would apply :)

Anonymous said...

At least you know what is going on now. He will probably grow out of it, or at least it won't be so severe. Despite all the allergies that Makenzie has, they are not as bad as they were when she was younger. And Brett used to have allergies as bad as Makenzie, but now he hardly has any...

Leslie Spradley said...

Thanks for the advice guys. Ginger, I will definetly try the soy milk in a couple of months!

Ashley said...

Sorry to hear about Trent, but very happy you now know what's wrong. I would give advice, but I'm not very good at it. You know more than I do! :)